From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:32:14 -0500
Thanks, but I'll continue to more heavily weight the info on cystine
stones from the veterinary urologists we consulted than from others
simply because they are the experts in that regard.  After all, I went
to the trouble to ask them and several very kind vets went to the trouble
of recommending them; it would be a shame to then ignore what they said,
especially since this is their specialty in which they are well regarded
by other veterinary experts.  Since the lives of two ferrets here depend
on it I'd rather approach it that way since expert advice can't be beat
(which is why I so often encourage people with sick ferrets to get vet
care and encourage consultations with experts when needed).  Besides,
basics like hydration have long been well evaluated and controlled here.
At this point no one knows WHY cystine stones are happening, nor HOW MANY
U.S.  ferrets are involved.  There are things which ONLY research can
tell.  Meanwhile, since IT HAS TO BE ABOUT THE FERRETS FIRST WHEN CHOICES
ARE MADE it simply makes sense for people to share the information on the
cystine stone research with their vets because then if the vet encounters
a ferret with the problem that ferret will have the best shot at life,
and that is what ultimately matters.

Basically, when it comes to foods I will repeat what I said: we simply
don't know yet which hypotheses will pan out, who will be wrong of who
will be right (and, yes, that means that I -- or the way that a few have
altered what I wrote -- could be wrong, and that is no big deal because
everyone is wrong at times when it comes to best guesses during times
when there simply are too many gaps in existing knowledge).  Frankly,
it isn't worth getting growly about simply because it is at this time
somewhat guess work -- educated guess work, yes, but even the most
educated guesses can be wrong and there are very, very, very well
educated people who vary in several regards to relation to diet.

My basic message is that if a person has bothered to be informed and
feeds a decent diet then it doesn't pay to submit to guilt if someone
else comes on strong about a different diet.  They may be wrong, you
may be wrong, we may be wrong, etc.  No one knows at this point in time.
That's just life.  There are simply too many gaps in the knowledge.

That is also why in the discussion of bTB i was so careful to over and
over again say and illustrate that it pays to understand what the terms
mean for eradication designations and to know that while it is a serious
illness be sure to also know that it is rare in most areas served by the
FML, plus that it is possible to ask and learn the local risk rate.
Also, that those who prefer to cook the meat should know that cooking
kills it.

There is no such thing as a perfect food out there.  Each and every one
has it's own risks and good points.  I've said that over and over, too,
and frankly I don't see why it should bother anyone intellectually.  It's
just a fact of life.  We are staying open and figure we'll shape the diet
here to the medical needs here while we wait for more to be learned and
meanwhile be careful to not get emotionally invested in hypotheses
because while there are some very intriguing ones out there
***** and we DO use some of them here in our family -- even ones about
which I point out downsides and that they are only hypotheses at this
time *****
it always pays to recognize that hypotheses do not always work out to
be valid once more is known.