Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:31:19 -0800
When I was asked to take people on a tour of the zoo, I assumed it meant
the vendors at the symposium.  ;-)

The St. Louis Zoo is is actually quite nice.  You know how bird watchers
keep track of the birds they see on a birder's list?  I have done the
same thing with American zoos, and I have visited all the large ones, and
most of the smaller ones.  So, when I say the St.  Louis Zoo is pretty
good, it is probably not too exaggerated by state pride (as if I had any
of that, living in a State of Misery).

The zoo had a ferret in the Children's Zoo, mislabeled as a polecat, and
I suspect it is still there.  They also have dwarf mongooses, which I can
watch for hours, and suricates (meerkats) which I can watch for as long.
Most of the exhibits are very naturalistic, which allows for viewing some
natural behaviors.  The zoo also has some small primates, and if you are
carefully observant, you can notice many ferret-like social behaviors.
Since time is limited, I'll take people to the suricates, mongooses, and
small primates, explaning how a shrewd use of housing and enrichment
creates happy animals.  Afterward, people are free to wander off on their
own, or continue to view the zoo with me until we leave.  Actually, you
are not required to tour with me at all; you can spend the entire time on
your own if you want.  Although many of the animals are not ferrets, or
even mustelids, I will explain how you can use enrichments designed for
many different species to improve the lives of ferrets.

The puffin/penguin exhibit is absolutely outstanding!  They have done a
lot of work to the primate house, and will be opening a new forest-like
primate exhibt this year; hopefully in time for the visit.  The cost of
drinks and food is a bit expensive, like at all zoos, but since there is
no fee to enter the zoo, the profits are used to maintain it.  The zoo is
actually a good distance from the Hotel, so the fee covers the cost of
renting transportation, which I think is similar to the parking fee at
the zoo ($9), so you can't lose.

You can visit the St. Louis Zoo online at: stlzoo.org/

Those who attended the symposium in Atlanta will recall I gave away
ferret exaggeration postcards during my presentation.  there were eight
of them: ferretalopes, riding giant ferrets, ferret ponies, etc.  I will
be doing the same this year with new comical ferret postcards, but
everyone who attends the St.  Louis Zoo trip will get a special one,
unavailable to everyone else.

Bob C  [log in to unmask]

"At that point, Poirot nudged me gently, indicating two men who were
sitting together near the door.  One was a little, sharp, dark, ferret
faced man, the other was tall and fair." Agatha Christie 1920 The
Mysterious Affair at Styles.