Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:15:50 -0800
It seems that all our veterinary speakers are busy people!  When we
finally talked to each other, after numerous rounds of phone tag, it
was in bits.

The father of three, Tom Kawasaki, DVM, will soon give his older daughter
to another man.  Tania, 25, was homecoming queen at her college and
elected the nicest person there, is getting married on July 30.  Does he
sound like a proud dad?  The two have a very close relationship, often
doing aerobics or lifting weights together.  And, it's not uncommon for
her to call during the day.  So, when I reached him on a Saturday
morning, responding to his brisk *Hello* with a *Hi!  How are ya?,* it
was not unusual for him to respond with, *Oh, crazy!  It's been busy all
morning"  Im three behind right now!*

And where did I catch him for this exchange?  In surgery -- on a ferret!

Dr. Kawasaki is not only a ferret vet, but a ferret owner.  His first
ferret was an older one that the client no longer wanted.  Currently that
number stands at four.  In the 27 years he has been seeing ferrets, Dr.
Kawasaki has accomplished a great deal.  As he treated them he learned
that much of the published medical literature was irrelevant, inaccurate
or incomplete.  He began collecting his own log of patient laboratory
values, and quickly learned that they were not reliable.  This increased
his interest, causing him to dig deeper into the workings of their little
bodies and leading to publications on lymphoma.  Dr. Kawasaki's passion,
however, is your ferret's vision.  He has a strong research interest in
retinal degeneration and atrophy has led to ground-breaking discoveries
in this area.

The next time I caught up with Dr. Kawasaki was on his way to the video
store!  To relax he likes to watch a little television (including those
movies) and read.  He also plays tennis and golf.  But, if you really
want to spend time with him, ask Dr. Kawasaki if he has read any good
books.  You will be enthralled by stories of favorite, *A Course in
Miracles.*  From there he will lead you to his favorite pastime -
contemplating spirituality.  And who would he like to spend his spare
time with?  *I would like to spend 24 hours with Christ to understand
the meaning of existence.*

Oh, this loving dad also has a son at Harvard and another daughter at
James Madison University.  Come hear this deep, fun, intelligent, kind,
generous, caring and helping (does diverse cover it?) man - and meet
his equally delightful significant other, Dr. Jean Wardell - on April 29
at the 2005 Ferret Symposium in St. Louis, MO!

To use this vet:
Thomas Kawasaki, DVM
Old Bridge Veterinary Hospital
3604 Old Bridge Rd.