From:
Catherine Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:35:08 EST
Well, they say the mind is the first thing to go.... I sure showed it
when I forgot half of what I was going to say and then just remembered
it this morning.  Sigh.  Must remember to........what was it I need
remember.....

Please tell me my brain is failing again and that I didn't read or
process what I read correctly.  Was there actually someone out there
arrogant and presumptive enough to try their own "at-home" version of
veterinary medicine?  That brings chills to my very soul.  All I could
recall was the stories of the Civil War and the Doctors having to remove
limbs with, well, archaic tools (the hand saw, for example) and five
people or so holding the poor bugger down until he mercifully passed
out.  I don't care if he was given a liberal dose of whiskey first.  The
Doctors then did what they could with what was available during an
horrendous time in our history.

But this is 2005...... I guess I am just naive enough to think that other
people care about these little ones pain.  Yes, Veterinary costs are
high.  The vets earn every penny, in my opinion.  I won't regurgitate
what we all already know about the high cost of their education and their
debt load upon completion of that education.  Pet medical insurance is
just starting to become a little more popular and affordable.  How many
of us actually have it though?  I would love to, but I don't.  My bad.

I'll tell you what though.  I don't mind buying my clothes on eBay and
clearance sales to make sure that my "revolving vet bill" to Dr. Joe is
paid every month.  I chose to take on the responsibility for these
animals.  I damn well have no intention of letting them down.

I am an addict to "Emergency Vets."  That doesn't mean I say "Hey, I've
watched that done.  I can do it...."  I'm also addicted to "Law & Order."
I recently was wrongly accused of a fairly minor traffic infraction.  I
decided to fight it because I DIDN'T DO IT!  (Bad enough when you are
guilty...but when your not, it's the principle of the thing.....)  So I
HIRED AN ATTORNEY!  I watched my Grandfather all my early life repair
cars.  I've driven so many POS vehicles in my life that I can pretty much
tell a good bit of the time by the sound it makes what the heck is wrong
with it.  I don't try to fix it.  I take it to a MECHANIC (until I got
the Benz, it was to
"he-who-looks-he-will-be-my-son-in-law-whether-or-not-I-like-it" if he
was speaking to me at the time.......)

Point I guess I'm trying to make, folks, in this long winded foray up on
my soapbox again is this.  Find a vet who will take payments.  If not,
sells something on eBay.  Eat macaroni and cheese or ramen noodles (and
no, I'm not saying put your two legged children through that if you have
them.....but I think you get my drift......).  Try to get help somewhere.
You could even ask HERE.  I've noticed genuine requests are usually met
with sympathy and kindness by the lasted FML Population.

This has reminded me to get my act in gear and get a very good idea
Margie came up with up and available in more than prototype form for us.
We plan to donate part of the proceeds to the shelter fund and to Dr. Joe
here for "ferret owners who are in need."

I don't have a lot.  But I was brought but to share what I do have.

God Bless the person that took poor baby in and got him proper care.  You
are an angel.