From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:32:23 EST
I have received a few emails about my post about Temple Grandin my son
Sean who are both autistic and how they relate to animals.  It occurred
to me that many people are new to the FML and don't know who Sean and
Rocky are.  So, I thought I should explain.

Sean and Rocky (his ferret) are known throughout the world by many people
in the ferret community.  My son's story about his relationship with his
pet ferret and emergence from autism has been published in two books
(What Animals Teach Us, and God's Messengers), one American magazine
(Modern Ferret), and in four issues of a popular Japanese magazine
(Anifa).  The first book has a tiny summary which describes the lessons
we've learned from Rocky.  The second book describes how Rocky introduced
religion to Sean.  The magazines tell the entire story as it unfolded.

Below are some links to some web pages as well as to the first published
article about the two.  I need to explain something important, however.
Most of what I wrote ... came on the tail end of a severe nervous
breakdown and hospitalization that left me with very damaged language at
the time.  So, much of what I wrote in my website is very adolescent
sounding and sloppy.  Even the first published article is rough.  I do
not know how to go into a website to update things to correct all the
text, grammar, spelling and to reword things.  Which is very embarrassing
because today ... I am a writer (or trying to be, lol).  Regardless, the
web pages do communicate a great message, and they were written from the
heart.

Here is the address to the site http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.  Scroll down
the index, and look for the section that are "Sean pages".  There is a
lot there to explore.  Also check out Chets' Studio that his brother
wrote at only age nine about Sean that is directed to help friends and
family of autistic children.  [Moderator's note: I think that address
should be http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com    BIG]

In addition here is the first publication about Sean and Rocky:
www.modernferret.com
Scroll down until you find the little picture of the cover to the Sean
and Rocky issue (#29).  There is a link that you can click on to bring
up the actual article as published complete with photos.  It's a little
rough, but it is a wonderfully descriptive story about Sean and Rocky
from the very beginning.

It's my great hope, to get the second part of this story published
somewhere in the states as it appears in the wonderful Japanese magazine,
Anifa, someday.

Warm wishes
Rebecca Stout

Wolfy