From:
Diane Wall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:18:55 -0500
Hi Scott-In reply to your question with regard to ferret vomiting, I
would like to offer the following information.

I think that you are right on with the food allergy.  I have a rescue boy
had a history from a young age of vomiting such as you describe with the
undigested food and the mucus as well.  He had already been through all
that you are looking to avoid (exploratory surgery, an assortment of
various medicines).  I too lined up at least four bowls with various
sorts of ferret kibble and cat food.  He was starving so he ended up
eating some kibble only to result in being very itchy and getting hives
on top of the vomiting & bad litter box stools.  I went nuts trying to
figure out what was making him so sick.

I tried the duck soup route and he got worse, not better.  To get his
system stabilized, my vet gave me a bit of Z/D feline food (not A/D
canned), and we added .2 prednisone to .2 children's dye free benedryl.
This ZD food is a small dry cat kibble given to cats with food allergies.
He did eat this with success.  Be aware though that there is not enough
fat in protein to use for the long term.  We considered this to be Step 1
to stabilizing him and figure out what to do next.

We did try a diet of lamb and veal and this did not work either.  We
ended up figuring out that he was allergic to CHICKEN, and as you know
almost every ferret food and kibble is chicken based.

I noticed that Totally Ferret came out with a Turkey Based food and I
bought a small bag from The Ferret Store to see if it would make a
difference.  Let me tell you it made huge difference and he has gained
almost a pound.  No more vomiting, or bad litter box, no more hives!
This very sick, very lethargic ferret is now a playful whirlwind (as he
should be).

This is his routine now: Food: Only Totally Ferret Turkey Kibble,
Water: Distilled Poland Springs, Bedding Washing: Arm & Hammer Powder,
No Perfume, No Dyes, Litter Box: Yesterday's News Unscented, Dust Free.

I hope this has been helpful, the people who had him before gave up on
him and dumped him just before Memorial Day last May, it has taken me
until just this month to fine tune what works for him.

So Houdini and I wish you and Frantic all the best.

Diane Wall
Ferret Mom of 8 with many fuzzies dancing at the bridge