From:
Diane Wall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:26:43 -0500
With a very heavy heart and mind I am sorry to let you all know that my
Little Rufus went to the Bridge overnight Friday into Saturday morning.
We believe that he had the DIM Disease It was just too much for me to
write this email until now.

He had a rough day on Friday and I was praying that he could hold on
until his new medicine arrived on Saturday but it was not meant to be.  I
spent all of Friday night hand feeding him and gave him a little sponge
bath using baby face cloths and wipes to bring his temperature down and
clean him up.  He really seemed to enjoy this.  I got him settled down
very late that night and he looked comfortable.  I had a fitful sleep
continuing to think of ways that I could help him .as the sun rose, I
went to check on him again and he was gone..

Even though I am so sad that he only had six months, he had a wonderful
life.  I never saw a happier more playful ferret.  He had lots of ferret
buddies, Aunties and Uncles.  He taught Houdini how to be a ferret, eat
lots of food and ran him around the room a hundred times a day for
exercise.  Now poor Dini only has me to chase around the room and I
won't fit into the tube.

God gave him a purpose for being here though, as much as it broke my
heart, I kept to my word of having the necropsy done.  Dr. Harrington
did it Saturday for me so I could bury him next to Miss Pixie.  He'd
like that as his ears have never been clean since she's been gone.  We
were able to gather valuable data to send to Dr. Ramsell working on this
awful DIM Disease as well as Dr. Maurer's husband who is works for MIT.
Hopefully Ruffie's tissues and medical information will help them to find
the source and a cure for this disease.  I want to continue to help them
and other young ferrets.  Yesterday Phyllis' ferret was very ill and some
of Ruffie's Baytril went to her to help her Molly.  I also have some
unused liquid Flagyl another bottle of unused Baytril as well as some
liquid Carafate if anyone needs it I would be happy to get it to you.
Two of my friends very compassionately made a very appreciated donation
towards Ruffie's care as it will take me awhile to replenish my ferret
care fund as I'm sure you can imagine the care that Ruffie received
completely wiped me out and then some.

How I wished that we could have saved him.  I know that if that decision
only depended on our prayers he would still be with us.

Please Sandee and Muldoon, guide my little Rufus at the Bridge to meet
up with Max, Miss Pixie Mouse, Sam the Guinea Pig as well as Merlin,
Mischief, Kaiser and all of the Dear Ferrets we have lost from
Massachusetts Ferret Friends.  You can recognize him from his funny
ferret hair cut.  His neck, front legs, and left hind quarter were shaved
during his treatment and when he gave his tissues to Dr. Ramsell's DIM
Disease Team.  He might be scared or confused as to why he's at the
bridge so soon as he was only 6 months old.  Tell him please that his
Mom still cries every day for him.  I will post pictures tomorrow on the
gallery of the Mass Ferret Friends Website
<http://www.maferrets.org/>

Diane Wall