From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:37:06 -0500
A day spent trying to find some info on parasites (which I could not
find) though I found some fun webpages for all of us such as:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/fleB.html (good flea picies and life
cycle info)

http://www.lbah.com/intpar.htm

http://www.geocities.com/catcare2000/Parasites.htm

I am trying to find if ear mites, their eggs or both can be frozen with a
certain amount of time in a standard freezer.  Some types of adult mites
do freeze but some don't and I couldn't find a thing about their eggs.

Does anyone here have that info?  I am sure that FHL members will be
looking, too, so we can all also look in
in case someone there provides the data to teach us all.

BTW, some segments with mite basics from
http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/~mbirchen/secondyear/parasitbugstudyguide.htm
>Suborder Mesostigmata...
> lifecycle takes four weeks or less...
> can cause mange and scabes
> simple metamorphosis
> male copulates and dies
> females...lay eggs singly
> Nymphs molt twice in the pockets before becoming adults

and ear mites specifically:
> Otodectes cynotis-ear mites
> *non-burrowing
> dogs, cats, ferrets
> accompanied by ulcerations and self-inflicted hematomas
> *very contagious

Any entomologists or parasitologists here?
-----

Hey, Wolfy!  I thought you'd surely comment on how pretty some of those
kidney stone types are in their pictures!  I'm disappointed.

Sukie-not-a-vet
Information is what you make of it.