From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 03:31:41 -0500
>Licorice: ("standard" licorice or "de-glycyrrhizinated" licorice - DGL).
>Has anti-viral properties and can be very effective in killing the
>Helicobactor virus and reducing stomach inflamation in humans.

VERY, VERY, VERY DANGEROUS.  You will find a number of past posts on
this including ones from Mary who does have a degree in herbals.  True
licorice and licorice root are very hard on the cardiovascular system
and are among the causes of cause thromboses -- thrown clots -- which
can present like strokes if they hit the brain, destroy a kidney if
they land there, cripple a limb if they wind up in a major blood vessel
there, etc.

>L-Carnosine: Linked to significant protection against ulcer formation
>and healing of existing ulcers.

I'd have to look this one up, so can't reply on it now.  Have you been
in the Archives of the FML and FHL?  Have you looked in Fox's vet text?
Have you looked in the veterinary herbals mentioned by Mary?  Have you
looked in the German monograph, the PDR for herbal meds, Tyler Varro's
texts?  Soem of those are human refs but for some aspects things do
generalize for some herbals (though not for all).

>Vitamins A & Zinc: Both help in healing mucous membranes of the
>digestive system.

Vitamin A overdoses are rare in ferrets but have been documented.  One
the other hand zinc overdoses are well documented and common -- to the
point where even galvanized dishes are advised against being used.  Zinc
toxicity can be DANGEROUS.

>Brewer's Yeast: good source of protein and Chromium, which regulates
>blood sugar levels, and is one of the best natural sources of several
>B-complex vitamins.

Brewers Yeast and the chromium it contains DECREASE blood sugar; they
don't regulate it.  As a result it can be useful when a person has a
ferret with diabetes because diabetes, though not very common in ferrets,
can be hard to manage in them.  On the other hand, it is not good to have
as a supplement or med if insulinoma (which IS quite common in ferrets)
is present, specifically because it DOES drop the blood glucose levels.

I suggest that you hit the archives and especially look for Mary's posts.
The FML Archive's address is in every issue's header:
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html
  The FHL Archives is at
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org