Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:04:35 +0800
[... this was posted on another list I am subscribed to, with "PLEASE
CROSSPOST" written across the top.... ]

Things are starting to happen over here, and I wanted to share the
latest with you.

As a result of our lobbying, we have an MP who yesterday tabled an
Early Day Motion in the House of Commons, as follows:

[item] 335 PROCESSED PET FOODS AND VETS              7:12:04

This House deeply regrets the professional endorsement of processed food
for domestic dogs, cats and ferrets by some members of the veterinary
profession; is concerned at the level of incidence of malodorous gum
disease and associated diseases of the kidneys, liver and other organs
amongst the domestic pet population; recognises that their health and
welfare is best served by foods, such as raw meaty bones, which reflect
the full range of nutritional need; applauds and recommends the work of
veterinary surgeon Tom Lonsdale and others in this field; also recognises
that vets in the UK are trusted and independent advisors on the health of
our pets and, as such, is concerned by the nature of the relationship
between some vets and producers of foods which cause illnesses in pets;
and calls upon the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons to make a
definitive statement on the active endorsement and promotion of processed
pet foods by vets.

Can be viewed on
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmedm/41207e01.htm

All information about EDMs can be accessed at the web addresses quoted
at the end of this email.

We are of course delighted (slight understatement!).  Actually, we
screamed ourselves hoarse when we first heard last week!  We now have an
enormous mailing task, writing to all MPs, to ask them to sign this EDM.
The more signatures, the more chance that this will be debated in the
Commons, the more chance of firstly, a Ten Minute Rule Bill, secondly a
Private Members Bill and finally a full parliamentary enquiry.  It also
gives us a chance at some decent national newspaper coverage!

I would very much like news of this to be passed on to all the raw
feeding lists, as you have people there from all over the world.  First,
so that any UK members could be encouraged to write to their own MP to
get him/her to sign the EDM, and second, to maybe encourage other members
to try for a similar action from their own governments.  This is a small
step along the massive highway on which we are all travelling, but it's
the first really positive thing to have happened in a long while.  We're
especially pleased that the EDM mentions Tom - I keep telling him that
we'll get him that Nobel Prize somehow!

You are free to copy this email in its entirety, or as you wish.  Any
help would be much appreciated.

Best wishes
Jackie
UKRMB
(www.ukrmb.co.uk)

Information about Early Day motions: http://www.parliament.uk/
about_commons/early_day_motions.cfm

Early Day Motions can be viewed on http://edm.ais.co.uk/

Full List of all UK MPs, plus contact details
http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alms.cfm