Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:41:53 -0500
Angell Memorial Animal Medical Center (Jamaica Plain, Boston,
Massachusetts, USA) has just announced the creation of a new Pet
Poison Hotline, just in time for the holidays.  The number is:

1-877-2ANGELL  (1-877-226-4355)

According to the press release, the team staffing the phone lines
consists of more than 25 veterinarians - six board-certified animal
toxicologists, 20 veterinarians and other professionals specially trained
to manage poisonings in animals.  They are on standby 24 hours a day,
365 days a year.  There is a $50 charge, but considering the level of
professional care you are getting and the fact that the $50 fee
apparently covers follow-up consultation with your own vet, that seems
pretty reasonable and comparable to the other hotlines out there, if I
remember correctly.

Here's a link to Angell's press release:
http://www.mspca.org/site/pp.asp?c=gtIUK4OSG&b=264356

and to an article about the hotline (and pet safety around the holidays
in general, no ferret mentions though) in the Dec. 15 Boston Globe (may
be available for a limited time only):
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2004/12/15/unlikely_pet_enemies

This is a great resource and I'm very happy to know about it!

Regina

Regina Harrison  [log in to unmask]
http://users.rcn.com/badriya/
blog: http://badriya-z.blogspot.com/

"Is that my business?  Well, what is my business?  Do I know?  Did I ever
know?  Let s not go into that.  You re not human tonight, Marlowe.  Maybe
I never was or ever will be... Maybe we all get like this in the cold
half-lit world where always the wrong thing happens and never the right."
--Raymond Chandler, The Little Sister