From:
Danielle Dumler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:09:59 -0500
I just wanted to say to Leslie that I am very sorry to hear that Whitey
had DIM and died.  My little ferret Lorelei came down with this around
Halloween of 2003 and we fought with it until February or March of this
year and finally sent her to the bridge.  It was devastating to deal
with.  I did receive some wonderful information Dr. Ramsell and Sukie
along the way and we donated Lorelei's body for postmortem studies and
pathology to help our vet and others learn more about this.  Lorelei
had a cage mate (Dee-Dee) who is still alive and well and never showed
symptoms.  Dr. Finkler did not think this seemed to be a contagious
illness, but it is always best to follow your own vet's advice.

I agree with listening to your heart and your ferret.  Lorelei seemed to
make small steps forward with some medications, and would play and eat
but then she would backslide.  Eventually she did not play and could not
get to her litter box or food at all and we decided it was time to stop
fighting.  For anyone who has a ferret who might possibly have this, if
you do a google search for DIM ferret illness you can find links with the
forms and vets manes who are already familiar with this illness.

Again, I am so sorry about Whitey and to Sheila, good luck with your
little ferret.