From:
jennifer hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 22:22:01 -0500
Hi all,

So, I showed four of my ferrets for the first time this past weekend at
Winter Nationals (with some help from some experienced owners/breeder),
and two of my ferrets placed in the top ten for Companion (all of mine
were "pet store ferrets").  One of them won first place in two rings
(Companion) (didn't even place in top ten in the third ring, not sure
why) and one of them got 10th place in one ring.  I acted as a steward
for one of the judges for breeder ferrets and I know that they consider
age at neuter/spaying, and things like that when they do companion, but
my ferrets have a little pudge (comments were made on my slips from the
judges, or that they needed more muscle coverage...), not a lot, well,
except for one of them, but nevermind, and I noticed that comments were
made about the muscle coverage on ferrets in other companion and other
championship rings as well.

My kids excercise at least once, sometimes twice a day for a minimum of
3.5-4 hours a day, just running around in the apartment or playing in the
playpen if we are doing other things as well, and it's not safe for them
to be out and about.  I was told by a friend (owner/breeder) that putting
hammies up higher so they have to work to climb into it with their
shoulder muscles could help, but I want to know what else I can do.  My
ferrets are wonderful (I know, it's a biased comment), and I want to see
them succeed, and I know that muscle to fat ratio is a major thing that
the judges consider.  If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to post
to the list or email me privately, but I'm sure that others may have
gotten some of the same comments, and could also use the advice.  Thanks
so much ahead of time.

Jennifer

An enemy generally says and believes what he wishes.--Thomas Jefferson.