From:
Balazs Gasparin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:30:22 +0100
Dear FML,

Recently I've attained new ferrets.  Because they've come from a new
origin, I've agreed to make a blood-test on them with a vet I've never
been to before, but he is said to know much about ferrets.  The results
were shocking, the vet told me that 3 of the ferrets have high ALT
parameter, and a repeat test is neccessary as soon as possible.

I don't know the exact values of the blood test, I haven't got the
results yet, but I've already heard that the ALT parameter cannot be
trusted in ferrets, and is associated with fat ferrets, or ferrets on a
diet.  I've bought my ferrets fat.  (They had been kept in a cage before
and were not taken out to exercise a lot.  ) As a result of this, they
have been on a diet since the first day.  (I don't starve them, they get
more vegetables and fruits, and lots of play time, and the company of
other more energetic ferrets who seem to be the best coaches for them J )

The vet says the fact that my ferrets are on a diet doesn't matter, this
won't change the results and that I should do the tests now.

Do you think it's a good idea to make a new test now or should I wait
until their weight becomes normal?  Should I trust the ALT parameter
being high, or should I demand more blood parameters to test (which
ones)?  What genetic problems should be checked that might cause high
ALT?

What should I do now?  I live in Hungary, and keeping ferrets is a
relatively new hobby around here.  There are only a few experienced vets
around here, and even they might make mistakes (For example I can only
hope that the blood tests were done by the values expected for ferrets,
not for dogs/cats, I know ALT requirements are different)

Thank you in advance,
Balazs Gasparin