From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 06:46:16 EST
While I appreciate the feedback, I believe one of my main points may have
been overlooked.  I never stated that there was anything wrong with
inquiring about the ADV status of someone selling ferret bedding.  My
issue was not with th e actual "asking," it lies with the manner in which
it was done.  IMO, it should be done discreetly, between the potential
buyer and seller.  I do not consider demanding it publicly then following
that person from board to board to board bullying and harassing them,
discretion.

Face it, some people test, some people don't.  That is THEIR choice.  As
it is yours.

If you yourself choose only to purchase bedding and other ferret related
items from sellers that test and provide you with documentation, that's
great.  More power to you.  However, if a seller doesn't test, either
parvocide it, or MOVE ON.  It's not your job to be the "ADV police" going
from board to board calling people out because they don't test.

Danee DeVore (thank you Danee)
>However, if the material is soaked in parvocide, and then washed in hot
>soapy water, that should be enough to prevent any spread of ADV.

Wolfy (thank you Wolfy)
>ADV is not a disease with magical microbes, okay?  They don't wear
>little diving suits when you hot wash with bleach or parvocide.  They
>don't climb into the pores of your walls while you wash them to escape
>you.  They don't disappear into thin air while you test or while you
>clean things and then reappear like the Lucky Charms elf.  Although it
>can take just one exposure for your ferret to get sick, and although
>cross contamination is possible, it's also is a bit more difficult to
>get ADV than once thought.

This is about ADV education.  Ganging up on people is not education.
Remember when you're posting, it's not just the targeted individual
that's reading it...it's a whole board of people, most of which are
probably clueless as what is going on.  What about all the newbies
joining ferret boards that are witnessing this nonsense?  Do you think
they'll see this as "educational"?  Probably not, and they'd be less
likely to ask any questions if they have any regarding ADV.

ADV is a very sensitive issue for many and a very important one.  You
are doing a service to no one by the way you have chosen to educate
people on Aleutians disease virus.

Please go back and reread that ADV site "motto" because some of you have
been part of the problem, not the solution.

[KA]