From:
Eleanor Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:20:05 -0400
Cooper J went to Rainbow Bridge today, he was in heart failure and renal
failure.  He was very weak.  He was just playing and running around a
few days ago and went down so quickly.  He was 8-9 years old and was on
Enapril for over a year for heart problems.  He had insolinoma and had a
double adrenalectomy almost 2 years ago.  I accidently stepped on him and
sheared his spleen this past February and he had emergency surgery from
which he recovered unbelievably well.  He was back to normal in no time
and remained that way up until about a month or so ago when he started
drinking more water.  He always drank a lot of water and loved water.  My
sister came over Labor day and checked his bg and listened to his heart,
it sounded really slow.  I called the vet first thing Tuesday morning and
got an appointment within a couple hours and sure enough his heart had
slowed down.  His blood panel showed he had very bad kidney values.  He
was scheduled for an ultrasound on his heart with a cardiologist this
coming Wednesday but we did not know whether he would make it or not.  We
tried supportive care by sub q fluids, etc. and nothing helped.  I had
to make the decision this morning after looking at him and taking a step
back and thinking how I felt.  I did not want to let him go but I knew it
was time.  His body was worn out.  He had no quality of life and he was
now feeling uncomfortable and in some pain.  I made the phone call to my
vet and brought him in at noon today.  His passing was very peaceful.  I
held and kissed him as he passed.  I will miss my Cooper J as will his
cagemate Nickel.  He had a wonderful life with me and was very spoiled
with chicken gravy, good care and lots of love.  There is just something
wonderful about Albino ferrets.

Next week Wolf is having insolinoma surgery.  PLEASE say a prayer and
keep him in your thoughts.  We are hoping he does NOT have lymphoma.
An ultrasound did show the insolinoma nodule and showed a tiny cyst in
his kidney.  All else appeared normal, including his adrenal size.  An
aspirate was done on his lymph nodes in neck because they are up a bit
and sent out but came back with not enough cells to determine whether or
not he has lymphocites.  He is scheduled for surgery Wednesday.  He will
be 5 in December.  Sarah, the little panda girl who had diabetes, that
just passed a couple weeks ago, was one of his cagemates.  I cannot bear
to lose another.  The decision to do surgery was hard for me and I
realize this is not a cure and the nodules will return or new ones show
up but it will give him some time to enjoy life normally hopefully for
awhile.

My sincere condolences to those who have lost fuzzies recently or in the
past.  We all know too well the heartbreak it brings.

Eleanor, Donald and the 9 fuzzies, missing Sarah and Cooper J