Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:57:55 -0500
From:
Celtic Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
>From:    Tammy&Jeff <[log in to unmask]>
>
>We have tried the following to try to train him NOT to bite: we use
>bitter apple spray on our hands when we handle him, we have tapped him
>on the nose after he bites and states a firm "NO!" (when we tap his
>nose I thuink he thinks we are playing, and he just bites us again right
>after), we have scruffed him with a gentle shake and a stern "NO!"....
>as soon as we put him down from his scruffing, he goes wild and bites
>again.  We are at wits end.......We do not know what to do....

I'd like to add a few other suggestions.  I've got 7 reformed biters of
my own out of 15 ferrets.

Skip tapping him on the nose.  It doesn't work.

In addition to scruffing him, drag him on his back across the floor.
When you are done give him a treat and praise him.unless he tries to bite
again.

Try a time out of 30 seconds to a minute in an empty carrier.  When he
comes out praise him to high heaven and give him a treat.

Any time your ferret is behaving correctly give him a treat.  He needs to
know what kind of behavior is expected of him.  He can't just hear the
word NO all the time.

Email me if you need more tips.

KG