From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:26:20 -0500
Could someone explain why people "report" stores to places that can't do
a thing about conditions, or are all noise and no action?  That always
confuses me.  Plus, even if they could do something the fact that all
they have is hearsay effectively would tie their hands.

In some states there ARE ways to alter conditions.  Steve and I have
used them in NJ.  For exotics whose permits are controlled by FG&W in
NJ report store violations there.  I don't know if these reports are
currently being handled in the Trenton office or the northern one in the
908 area code which handled our complaint and which still also handles
shelter permits still, I think.  For non-exotics your state legislator's
office will be able to help you find the right office to control licenses
on that score.

Having a vet send a letter on hospital stationery is especially useful;
that is what we did when we found that one store had coccidia which it
was refusing to treat.  The upshot is that the state required the store
to place all of its ferrets, cats, and dogs, and then banned it from
carrying them for 6 months.

I would suspect that photographic evidence could be useful but tricky to
get.  If you get it hold up a newspaper with the date next to the photo
and do NOT have it be a digital photo since those can be altered too
easily.  (You know, the same level of documentation you want when moving
into and out of an apartment with a questionable landlord, or when having
a cut-rate computer or auto "repair" place get their hands on your
machine.)

For a store in a chain report to the headquarters if you plan on
reporting a store and why, and let them know that you are aware of the
state laws.  You would be amazed at what some chains will improve to
avoid trouble.

In the meantime since that store was selling MFs but had them in a small
aquarium we also reported the store to MF which then refused to sell to
them until they upgrading to better housing conditions fro the ferrets.

Please, notice that it pays for any people here who are annoyed about the
conditions of any pet store in their state, or have gotten a sick one
directly from a pet store to ask their state legislator's offices what
the state requires.  In NJ there are standards and there is a vet care
provision for sick ones who have been purchased.  If you are in a state
without such laws then work on getting them for your state.  If animal
lovers in your state have already gotten such legislation passed then use
the laws which exist since in some states they do have teeth.  Besides,
the teeth on such laws get sharper with use because seeing them used on
other stores scares ones which otherwise might violate into behaving
better.