From:
meghan karp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:28:42 -0500
Hello all,
My boyfriend and I have 2 ferrets, Munch and Loca.  Both ferrets are from
Marshalls' farms .  Munch is about 3 years old and was gotten from a pet
store in NJ called Animals-N-Things.  She has always been very healthy.
Being as she was our first ferret, we weren't extremely knowledgeable
about the best ferret food, which distemper shots are best for ferrets,
or many other things.  However, we started our ferret research the day we
got her and have since read many ferret books, magazine articles, and
have joined mailing lists, such as this.  While I realize that it was not
the wisest thing to get a ferret and than start your research, as opposed
to the other way around, Munch never has never had any health problems,
and has only gone to the vet for check-ups and vaccines, nothing more.

Loca, on the other hand, is the exact opposite of Munch.  We got her
from Petco and have only had her for about 2 weeks now, but she was sick
from day one.  We've had her to the vet, and he said that she has fluids
around her intestines.  We initially rushed her to the vet because she
had green diarrhea and was vomiting.  We thought she may have a blockage
of some sort, but the vet said she didn't.  However, all he gave us to
take home was Amoxi drops and pepto-bismol.  He also told us to wet her
kibble for 24 hours and monitor her progress and if her condition
persists or if she gets any worse, bring her back in.  We have the girls
on Totally Ferret food, which I know is great food, but it's not a
prescription diet.  However, last week a woman on here posted that she
also had a Marshalls' ferret bought at a Petco, and he went through the
same thing.  She mentioned that when she took the ferret to the vet, the
vet sent her home with prescription a/d food, and a different type of
antibiotic.  She also mentioned that her vet told her the ferret had a
severe upper respiratory infection that spread to his intestines, thus
causing the green diarrhea.

Loca has improved, she is no longer vomiting and her stool is formed and
normal colored, but should I take her somewhere for a second opinion?
I know that I shouldn't have bought any ferrets from Petco, but I just
couldn't leave her there.  I fell in love at 1st sight and had to have
her.  Now I just want to make sure she has a long, healthy life.  Does
anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Meghan, Munch and Loca