From:
Cathy Mallette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:38:58 -0500
I am so far behind on my newsletters, but I have searched the archives.
I need advice desperately.  I have four ferrets.  Two young ones doing
fine.  One big old guy with insulinoma, also doing OK.

But then I have a runt that I just don't know how to help.  She's a sable
over 5 years old.  She only weighs a pound - largest ever was 1 1/2
pounds.  I got her that way.  She is adopted from the same shelter as
two of my others.  She does have hind leg weakness.  Her blood sugars
are fine (70-80).  She eats, drinks, is active when she's up.  But she
poops EVERYWHERE - like she can't control it.  It is loose but not runny,
brown, and in a long thin line like she goes while she walks.  She uses
the litter box to pee.

I have tried meds for diarrhea, laxatives in case it's a hairball.  I
tried pumpkin that I read about somewhere in the archives.

I am pushing water because she is a little dehydrated.  It has gotten
to the point where I have to change the bedding daily.  I don't want to
have to separate her from the others.  The vet felt something soft in
her instestines but is unsure what it might be.  I don't want to put her
through surgery because she is so frail.  The vet told me to try Slippery
Elm.

I am at a loss how to help her.  Any advice is appreciated!

Cathy M