Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:50:18 EST
As a shelter operator,I stay busy.Very busy.  I work a full time
(sometimes overtime) job.I work second shift as to be able to get the
kids to a vet if needed,during the day.Not to many day hours to get alot
done.The cleaning is a 2 1/2 hour job a day.  I get emails & calls all
the time about adoptions.I try to respond to each one.But as I get home
from work at midnight,I don't return calls then.I wait until the next
day.Or how about the days we play phone tag?  I make soup weekly,have to
run errands & vet visits.And try to get everything done in a day thats
on my agenda.

My shelter is pretty much done out of my pocket.I'm single & the pay
scales here in Al bite.I'm not collage educated.Does that make me stupid?
No,I graduated from UHK (Univ.  of Hard Knocks) with flying colors.

My shelter is within my home which is a mobile home.It's an older one
that was given to the ferrets by my Mom when she died.And I've been
rebuilding it by myself,as time & money permit.

My old car is a God send.It has over 332000 miles & the paint is peeling,
rusting.But it gets me where I need to go.I don't care what it looks
like.

So,when you come into my place & talk down to me,I get pretty upset.No,I
don't have a newer car,nor a big brick home,but what I do have is paid
for.And that makes it easier to be able to do the shelter.It's not easy
to do,my vet will tell you I've had a total well over $1000 & paid it.I
feel like this,my car is ok as long as it does what I need for it to
do.And as for the home,well,it's improving as I can get it done.

And no,I'm not like the shelter in the next state,or the one on the east
coast,no 2 people are alike & so,we don't have our shelters set up the
same.But rest assured we do indeed share one thing,our love for the
kids.They come before our own needs are met.Can you say the same about
your fuzzies?

So,before you put me down for not being a materialistic person,ask
yourself "What can I do to help?"  Did you offer to be a sponser to a
needy ferret?Offer to clean cages?Or to grab a paintbrush?Anything?
Bet not.

Done,
Sandi
Heaven Scent Ferret Rescue/Shelter