From:
Yvonne Zoll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:18:05 -0800
Hi Guys!
I haven't posted in awhile, have been very busy and very far behind on
everything.  So what else is new, huh?  lol!

Anyway, I'm in the process of getting caught up.  I saw Terri's post
about diabetic ferrets from a day or two (or three?)ago.  Our sweet boy
Hannibal is diabetic.  He was diagnosed earlier this year.  At first the
vet thought he had to have come into contact with some insecticide, and
those were the sort of symptoms he was displaying, drooling, glazed eyes,
siezures, ect.  But I knew without a doubt that he could not possibly
have come into contact with any.  After testing he was found to be
diabetic.  The vet didn't go with diabetes at first because it is
uncommon in ferrets.  It is also pretty hard to regulate in them.  We
have to give him a few sweets every day, like a couple of fruitloops,
some raisins, nutrical, ect. and that works fairly well with him.  If he
starts to have an episode we have to get sugar into him asap, which is
hard because he drools profusely, and his jaws clench up, so the best
thing to do is keep something sugary on hand that can be rubbed onto his
gums, such as nutrical, fruit juice, ect.  And that will bring him right
out of it.  You have to careful with the sugar though, because if you
overdo it you can end up on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Usually
just a dab on the fingertip will do it.  It can be very scary though.

It will probably be a few months before you can get a good handle on
Starsky's diabetes, but it's different for everyone.  Keep me posted!
I'd like to also hear from others who have diabetic ferrets.

Dooks and Hugs!
Yvonne