Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 07:36:46 -0800
Hi,

It sounds like Bofa has bilateral adrenal disease and both glands need to
come out.  I wonder what was "precarious" about the left.  Anyway, a good
vet who is confident about their abilities will have no problem with you
seeking a second opinion.  If nothing else it may confirm that your vet
is pursuing the right course of action and give you some peace of mind.

For what it's worth I had two ferrets in recent years who had both glands
out, one at age one and a half and one at age three.  I also had one who
had is right out at age seven and a half.  All the surgeries were
successful.  In all three cases our vet ligated the vena cava.  Podo, the
older guy, lived for another very happy two and a half years.  Pertwee
lived for nearly four years with no adrenal glands.

If you end up opting for this sort of surgery on Bofa (and your vet may
want to do the adrenal glands one at a time) make sure you read up on
replacing the adrenal products and the possible problems after bilateral
adrenal surgery, particulary surgically induced Addison's Disease.  I'm
going to recommend the FHL archives again at http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org

Good luk to you and to Bofa!

All the best,
Caity and the fabulous four