From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:10:37 -0500
See:

http://www.scienceblog.com/community/modules.php?
name=News&file=article&sid=5001

You know how on the FHL and elsewhere people keep reminding others who
have ferrets with lung problems to not buy the ionic or electrostatic
air "cleaners" which release ozone because even small amounts of ozone
can cause inflammation?

Well, it appears that inflammation can cause the production of ozone in
the body.

> a 2002 report from The Scripps Research Institute, by Prof.  Lerner
> and coworkers, who reported that ozone could be formed endogenously
> in our body.  Their results supported the possibility that ozone is
> formed in inflammatory tissues by neutrophils, suggesting that ozone
> is formed as a part of the body's defence against pathogens.

But sometimes inflammation gets out of hand, and it also can be caused by
non-disease processes like asthma, which some (though not many) ferrets
have been diagnosed as having.

So, work was begun to test things that can remove ozone like a component
of the oil of lemons does, leading to a report in this week's
''Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry'' by Professor Ehud Keinan, Dean
of Chemistry at Technion, and his coworkers graduate student Aaron Alt,
Dr. David Shoseyov of the Hadassah Mount Scopus University hospital, Dr.
Haim Bibi of the Barzilai Medical Center, Ashkelon, Dr. Gail Amir of the
Hadassah University hospital and Dr. Lea Bentur of the Technion Medical
School.

This might lead to an approach not only for humans but perhaps for
ferrets.