Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:25:02 EST
From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
The season has definitely started early for my PA Shelter.  I have three
subshelters (which I pay for their operating expenses and ferret medical
bills out my personal money) who have taken in ferrets to help ease my
load and while they held the rescues for 45 days (after which they come
to my shelter) or until they are adopted.  I am grateful for their help.
Recently one of my subshelter moms was diagnosed with congential heart
disease and will not be a temporary shelter anymore.  Three of the
ferrets she just took in are all in need of surgery and will be
transported to my shelter.  I had two ferrets come in this past Tuesday
with siamese adrenals (one left and one right adrenal).  One of our
cancer surviving handicap rescues was just diagnosed with a right
Adrenal.  And I have one more possibly coming on Saturday.  Along with
the kids in desperate need of surgery, I have a little girl who was
found inside an abandoned house inside of a furnice that had not been
lit in years.  The people who bought the house opened the furnice to
light it and found this half dead little girl.  Luckily they were
concerned enough about her to bring her to the vet and the vet not having
much knowledge of ferrets did everything in his power to keep this little
girl alive.  She is still hanging in there and should make a recovery
(not sure if she will ever be able to walk right again).  I had one
turned in that found on the side of the road during one of our recent bad
rainstorms out here in PA.  She had a crushed leg (vet thinks someone
might have run over her leg with a car).  She had to have her leg taken
off but other than fighting a nasty cold (from all the rain) should be
fine.  I had a set of four turned in that were all underweight and over
the age of 6.  This year has only begun and I can only imagine what other
shelters are experiencing.  My vet bill will most likely be over the four
digit numbers and I still have 6 more surgeries coming over the next
couple months.  If they all make it through their ordeals and survive
their surgeries I do have adopters lined up.  (My relatives are going to
get very, very small christmas gifts, as I have spent their christmas
money on the ferrets.  The ferrets come first in my family).  I am
working overtime and even a second job and temp job to help pay for these
bills.  Pretty much I am now working 80 hours a week.  Luckily the temp
job is only a couple extra hours out of the house and the second job is
at home so I can tend to the ferrets.

On Sunday, March 13, 2004, we are holding a fundraising show specifically
for the surgery kids.  All the money (no expenses are being taken out)
for this show will go to help the surgery kids to get their surgery.
This is a fun event specialty ring (no points).  The cost is $8.00 per
ferret per entry and $5.00 for multiple entries per ferret.  First place
winners will receive $10.00 gift certificate and go in the running for
the donation basket, which includes $25 gift cards, supplies, bedding,
etc.  Please visit our website and check out Jerry's Fundraiser (listed
under events) www.freewebs.com/losnational/

Unfortunately my vet expects payment in full and so payments are being
made on my credit card.  I have already asked him if donations can go
toward my bill and he asked I pay him in full before picking up the
ferrets receiving medical attention.  So we are holding the fundraiser
specifically for those who need surgery.  Our proceeds from the regular
show go toward the operation of the shelter and the subshelters.  So if
anyone is interested in attending the fundraising show or one of our
shows, please keep in mind, the proceeds go to help the shelter and
subshelters to keep going.  Also if you have time to come to our show,
we have several other shelters who are selling awesome items to help
raise money for their shelters as well.  Please consider visiting one
of our shows.  I hope everyone has a very happy holiday.

Thanks,
Dawn Smith, Vice President
Legion of Superferrets National