From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:24:16 EDT
Hi All,

I know this is not directed toward many of you.  But shame on you to
those i am referring to.  First of all, I only wanted to help that woman
by stating i have quick tests I am not using and it's better than
nothing.  I wanted to make a donation to her and I too use United blood
and Avecon Saliva tests but at least the quick tests are better than not
using anything else.  The quick tests are fairly new, never used, out of
12, I have 9 left.  There are instances that you cannot wait until the
blood or saliva test comes back.  That is why I keep them around but
since I no longer deal with the Humane Society since there is another
rescue now dealing with them (who takes the ferrets right away and does
not test them for adv).  That humane society didn't want to hold them an
extra day, so anyway, that is neither here nor there.  The I am making is
that I am trying to help the ferret community and I am being torn down.
This sickens me.  A donation, like a gift, doesn't have to big for it to
be appreciated but there are those who are flaming me for offering the
quick tests.  I guess I will never understand why some people look a
donation horse in the mouth and spat on them.

For those who have requested the donations thus far, they will receive
them.  I cannot promise a large package but I know anything helps.  There
are some who specificially asked for certain items and I will do my best
to make sure you get them.  Especially for those who need waterbottles.
And my reasons for not just limiting the donations to shelters and
rescues is that there are those who are taking in ferrets from pet stores
and what not that also need help.  These are hard times and though I
am also hurting, I am not in a finance bind like most.  I have not hit
that point yet.  But I just to scream at those who were burning me for
offering items to individuals, for offering the quick tests, totally
ferret, etc.  This is why I originally stopped coming to this post,
people can be so petty.  This post is a wonderful post when people make
it that.  I mean look at how many people this post has helped but then
take a step back and think of how many people were scared away or too
scared to post because of people who like to stay in the melodrama of
flaming each other.  Every subject has two sides, I understand that but
to burn someone who is trying to help.  It's very hurtful.  Legion of
Superferrets is committed to helping the ferret community.  There are not
many organizations out there who do that.  I can probably count them on
my fingers.  But many of those organizations have not publically posted
that they will help people but rather ask for donations to help others.
I saw all those people in need and I was looking through what I had, what
was donated to me that I might not use, what I bought but realized I
might never use it and I dont' like keeping things around that could be
used.  I am sorry to ramble but it hurts me.  I am wrong to feel so upset
and betrayed by fellow ferret owners and/or rescues?  Maybe I shouldn't
be posting this because I am upset, but I got so many letters of support
and then some flaming me, that I thought it would be easier to just
address this all at once.

I would ask no flames but I am certain to receive them anyway.  But I am
severely disappointed in the responses I received.  I have been in the
ferret community for 15 years, practically growing up with ferrets and
ferret people today are not like the originals which is attributed to
a new generation and changing times but the originals would not flame
someone for helping nor would some of the fights I have seen on this
post in the last year, ever come to pass.  But everyone is different
but please take a look back and see what a newcomer is walking into.
Personally if I was new and saw someone being flaming like they do here
occassionally, I would go elsewhere.  So please, please, please, I ask
you to consider what you write first, if you are still upset after you
write it all down, then re-read it and then send it if you are still
mad but consider the other party and newcomers.

I am sorry for this very long post but after I wrote it three times, I
was still upset.

Sincerely,
Dawn Smith, Vice President
Legion of Superferrets National