From:
Kathy Yanek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:59:47 -0500
I had recently noticed my ferret seemed to be losing some weight which I
attributed to shedding/winter coat changes.  Then his stool changed to
much darker and different consistency I took him to the vet.  He thought
he might have colitis or an ulcer and prescribed amoxicillin, flagyl and
pepto bismol.  After a few days, he added pred (1x daily).  I have been
feeding him duck soup with a syringe about every two to three hours,
water with pedaliyte and giving him the medicine twice a day.  He seems
to be perking up a bit, but still has quite a ways to go.  As I feed him,
on and off, I can hear him grinding his teeth.  I have been reading about
sucralfate.  I asked my vet about it and he said that it is a better
medication for dogs and cats than for ferrets and if he gave it to my
ferret, it would affect the other medications and they would have to be
spaced out which he did not want to do.

If any of you have had experience with these medications, I would greatly
appreciate your input as I want to make sure my ferret is getting the
most effective treatment.  Thank you so much!