From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:17:48 -0400
Hi Kris,

This topic has come up over and over again in the past.  To wit I will
reply again.

A True shelters DES NOT BREED!  A True shelter DOES NOT adopt out animals
which are intact and can be bred!  THE ENTIRE PURPOSE of a shelter is to
ensure that the homeless get new loving homes and more do not get tossed
away due to overpopulation.

What you are currently experiencing is a facility which complies i
the cat & dog community as a BREED RESCUE.  A rescue agent which also
breeds - the rescue is construed a their helping out in the community -
THEREFORE they should not be asking others to care for rescues while they
continue to breed.  Rather their caring for the rescues is understood as
giving back to the community for the privilege of breeding.

All too often those breeding will utilize the aura of rescue to allow
their critters access to food & vet care at a discount... this is NOT
an acceptable program and one would hope that folks contributing to the
organization would take a good look at the entire operation, making sure
there are separate accounts for the rescues and the breeders!

Just my viewpoint form years past... and it seems one also taken by many
humane organizations.

Alicia D.