From:
Paige Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:21:40 -0800
I have so many emotions screaming through my body right now I can
honestly say the only thing I know that I am feeling is numbness.

I know the nightmares are going to come, but before they do I want to
pass along a couple smiles.

I watched a fuzzy who had never seen anything except a filth encrused
wire floor walk on a fleece blanket for the first time.

After we had pulled all the kids out of their wire hell we took a step
back and looked in my Rav.  There were ferrets smelling fresh air and
liking the concept.  Some had already fallen asleep with their blanket
tucked between their arms hugging the first comfort they have ever been
introduced to.

When we arrived back at the shelter I walked into a picture so beautiful
I almost started crying at the joy.  We had managed to get a temporary
foster home for every kid already at the shelter (so the shelter was
empty of all four legged babies for a split second of time).  The entire
room had been transformed.  All our multi leveled cages were now single
level cages.  We had managed to scavenge (thanks to some donations)
everything we needed for the first critical day.  Every house had its
own blankets, hammocks, litter, food and water.  The kids heaven was all
setup and ready for its new occupants.

It tooks us a couple ferrets getting settled in before we got the routine
of processing the new comers down to a fine art.  Then we had a fine
assembly line in action.  Every ferret got assigned a number, its picture
taken, sexed, nails trimmed, treated for ear mites and a quick bath to
get a couple layers of grime off.

Then the real magic began..  The ferrets were introduced to their own
cage.  Water bottles filled with fresh, clean water were instantly
enjoyed, then the glorious sounds of ferrets crunching Totally Ferret
could be heard.

Even the pair of boys that were at the far back of that hell hole without
any food managed to eat food on their own.  As a matter of fact once they
started they did not stop eating and drinking for at least an hour.  I
even needed to fill up their food bowl again before we had finished
processing all the ferrets.

Before I packed up my gear to head back home (and give my kids a big hug
for sanity).  We cut up a roast that had been cooked specifically for the
new babies and made sure everyone had a special house warming treat to
welcome them home.

I know this is only the beginning step of these guys road to recovery.
These guys are going to need loads of tlc, food, litter, bedding and vet
care.  However, the important thing for today is they are out of their
hell in a comfortable bed with food and water.

Thank you so much for every one who has helped so far.  We are not quite
sure what tomorrow holds but we made it through day 1, with everyones
help we can start to tackle days 2 & 3..

Thanks
Auntie Paige
Ferret Aid Society
www.ferretaid.org

ps.  There are a million horrible things I want to share from today and
that condition the kids were found in..  but thats where nightmares come
in..  right now I need to concentrate on the positive and share the
smiles