Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:07:57 -0500
Thanks to all who answered my questions about how a kitten would get
along with a ferret.  Everyone was very positive, which is great news.

A mouse ran across my bedroom last night Earlier that day, I discovered
that it has been hanging out on the platform holding my mattress, just
inches from my head!  Not to mention that, I began to put Rocky's food in
the bathub, which is a high, claw-foot tub, not shallow like the modern
ones.  Well the mice can even get in and out of there!  A couple of days
ago, I went into the bathroom and turned the light on and lo and behold
there was a mouse in the bathtub, who had been feasting on Rocky's food!
I knew I couldn't get it, so I tossed Rocky in and he went after that
mouse like lightening, caught and killed it, chewed on it, and then kept
moving it from hidey hole to hidey hole, chewing on it until I saw where
he had it.  Then he'd grab it and run to another hidey hole.  I knew I
had to get the mouse before Rocky put it in an inaccesible place, so as
he ran out from under the dresser in the bedroom and out of the room, I
picked Rocky up with mouse in mouth, took it away from him and disposed
of it.  He wasn't too happy.  So last night, he saw the mouse when I
picked up a painting on the floor that it was hiding behind, but the
mouse took off to behind the bed, where there are lots of other things
cluttering the floor, and Mr. "Duh" was still looking and/or sniffing in
the corner near the painting.  Sometimes I think he's blind and his sense
of smell isn't too good either.  When there's a treat a few inches from
him on the floor, it takes him awhile to find it.  Not a very good
hunter, and I won't even get into his 2-second attention span problem I
observed another time when a mouse was behind a tall bookshelf..  Oh
well, he tried.  He gets an E for effort.  He's much more useful catching
those big palmetto bugs and he eats them on the spot.  I find the legs in
the morning.

Getting back to kittens, a question no one answered is will Rocky like
the kitten?  How would a spoiled only free-roam ferret react to sharing
his home and me?  I imagine this would be different in a home with many
ferrets, since they already share.  Rocky does like cats, though he's
always met them on their turf.  He never met a kitten.

Shron & The Would-Be Hunter