From:
Melissa Rotert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:09:51 -0700
Darrin,

This is a discussion that makes it's cycle every so often here on the
FML.  I'm sure some people get tired of talking about it, but I feel it
is an important enough topic that new members should hear it, too, so I
don't mind if we get a few days of repeating information.

I myself am not well-learned on the subject of deafness in ferrets, nor
do I know much about ferret breeding.  I've never had a deaf ferret
before.  I know SOME deafness is related to Waardenburg's Syndrome,
who's other physical characteristics can include fancy color patterns.

However, I do know some about basic genetics, and it's important, I
think, to point out that no genetic defects are INTRODUCED by breeding.
They are exacerbated by breeding, but they have always been there.  Even
if WS IS associated with certain color patterns, it is necessary to note
that not all individuals of those color patterns have WS, and also needs
to be pointed out that by far not ALL deaf ferrets have WS.  Deafness is
caused by many things, and while in US ferrets it may be most commonly
associated with WS and certain color patterns, of course that is not the
only reason ferrets are born deaf.  There is NO way to breed deafness out
of a population, so we cannot possibly breed it INTO one either.

Now, that isn't to say that I support selective breeding for colors,
especially when done wantonly, without regard for other genetic traits.
Fact is, I don't care what color a ferret is.  (Though a certain little
silver mitt has a special place in my heart.  Hope you're loving the
bridge, my sweetest Tasha.) I doubt we could ever eradicate selective
breeding for colors, even though it has such obvious problems.  I think
it is more worthwhile to me to discuss how we can better understand
Waardenburg's Syndrome, how it works, whether there are certain
circumstances under which the deafness trait expresses itself, and
begin to inspire more responsible breeding practices.