From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:19:57 -0400
Chere's situation is much worse.  Authorities are saying there is no
power and no water for the next two to three weeks, possibly longer.
She's keeping the ferrets cool with insulated bags with ice in them.
The mosquitoes have come on full force, there's no escaping them, and
they're getting eaten alive, even with bug spray on.  She wanted me to
let everyone know that she's very, very grateful to everyone who has sent
donations already.  She was able to use them today at Publix to get some
paper towels and cleaning supplies.  She goes out early each morning to
get in line for ice and water and MRE's.

They have a significant mold problem in the house, and are combatting
that, but so far losing the battle.  Larry is now wearing safety goggles
to work in so there won't be a redo on the bleach in the eyes incident.
They are afraid that the mold will affect the ferrets, so they spend
many hours every day trying to stay on top of it.

Although funds have been secured to purchase a generator for Chere, there
are none to be had anywhere east of the Mississippi.  Additionally, she
would need a window a/c unit, and all of the ones which could run on
portable generator power are out of stock as well from NJ all the way to
FL.  Chere will be getting a generator a soon as possible, but that's
not likely to be for a month or more (at least she'll be set of future
storms).  If you have or know of one they could use in the meantime,
and/or you'd like to donate a portable window a/c unit, please contact
me asap.  I can make arrangements to get large items to her.

She told me I have to tell you all she's got a positive attitude. :)

Her wish list includes citronella candles or the Off mosquito coils
(she has the bowl, just needs the refill coils), "D" cell batteries,
Ivermectin to treat the ferrets for heartworm, and she's in urgent need
of a 7-11 Store "Speakout" phone card.  That's the brand she specifically
needs due to the phone service being spotty at best in her area right
now.  She can also use Wysong Feline Vitality food.

Chere would never ask for it, but she and Larry are eating MRE's, and I'm
sure they'd love to get a care package with some non-perishable snacks
that need no cooking or refrigeration, non-chocolate candies, crackers,
pretzels, dried fruits, nuts, etc.  Think about the snack basket that
Aunt Louise gave you for Christmas last year that you didn't touch--box
it up and send it to them!

Chere Mc Coy
Ferret Friends of Indian River County
8775 20th Street, Lot 614
Vero Beach, FL 32966

Ok, now I'm going to explain some weird stuff about Florida and
homeowners insurance, and why cash donations are needed.  When you live
in Florida, you have what's known as a hurricane deductible.  That means
you get screwed.  No nice way to say it.  Hurricane comes, you have
damage, the first 2-9% is on you, depending in the age and construction
of your home.  So if you have a home valued at $100,000, and have a $2500
claim, you get $500.  The amount left after deducting 2% of the insured
value of your home.  That's for each storm.  So a hurricane comes, you
have a hole in your roof.  Next hurricane comes, hole gets bigger because
your insurance adjuster still hasn't shown up, three weeks after you
called.  Get this--you pay the deductible twice.  Yup.  You likely get
nothing after the dedutible.  Now, because you've got a gaping hole in
your roof, rain has gotten in, and due to the heat and humidity, it's
gotten moldy in your attic, and the mold is creeping through the ceiling
in your bedrooms.  In almost every case, cleaning up that mold isn't
covered.  Now you see why this situation is so bad.  The out of pocket
cleanup and repair costs for Chere and Jackie will be very high.  Please
help.