Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:14:04 -0400
>Also, I already personally take rates of demonstrated problems into
>account as well as some suggested ones that still lack proof (and I
>still vaccinate except when an individual has a good reason to not be
>vaccinated such as a reaction history, being on chemo, etc.  because
>the infection risk is still worse), and let's face it, you aren't going
>to budge, so why waste my time?

And neither are you, which is fine.  You have decided what risks are
acceptable to you, and I have to me.  I am using actual evidence in my
decisions, and you are using lack of evidence for yours.  By lack of
evidence I am referring to there not being any studies done with ferrets
so therefore you go with the year.  Which should be given some weight,
but I believe that the studies with dogs, cats and people can be carried
over to include ferrets, since nothing is so different in them that
would suggest otherwise.  I don't consider this a waste of time to get
information out there.  To let people know they don't have to blindly
follow protocols based on no scientific evidence.

>figure the people here are for the great part intelligent enough to
>seek out ferret expert vets and then discuss any questions remaining
>with them after their reading and act accordingly, and that seems good
>common sense to me.  It sure makes more sense to go by the advice of a
>professional who is trusted to treat one's ferrets than by that of people
>and sites who are unknowns.  I like to think that those of us who donate
>time to help advance ferret veterinary care do so to supplement ferret
>knowledgeable vets.  We sure can't replace them.

As I stated previously, sometimes even the "experts" are lacking.  I
trusted my vet, an "expert", but he could not even understand the vaccine
mfgs statement in not vaccinating an unhealthy animal.  I am just a lay
person, and I even thought that it wasn't a good idea.  Most vets think
vaccines are like giving water, better safe than sorry, and that is just
not true.  So yes, speak to your vet, but do your own research too and
make your own decision.  And while this does not apply to every vet, vets
have commented that they would lose alot of money if vaccine protocols
were changed.  That people would not come in yearly.  That annuals get
the clients in.  And the subsequent health problems from overvaccinating
also bring the clients in.  Of course NONE of that could ever be related
to the vaccines.  As for people and sites being unknown, Dr. Dodds is
VERY well respected in her field, and so is Schultz who was part of the
study with dogs.  Surely you don't discount the AVMA's findings as being
from an "unknown"?  So do not be so quick to discount everyone.

  ~Amy~