From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:18:55 EDT
First and foremost, the particular former LOS NJ President with whom
posted is false in her entire statement.  Her parting of the way was
more our decision then any.  I am not going to go into why "parting of
the ways" as it is a legal issue and will not be addressed on this post.
Though this president did not argue with us when the request was made
that we all part ways, I find her statement to be libelous against the
organization.  I have attached the definition of libel to my post.  Also
this person has personal flames with the current president of LOS and
has in turn posted a false post.

Definitions
Libel - For comments about an individual to be libelous, they must:
(1) be false and (2) injure that person's reputation.

Slander - Similar to libel except that it appears in transitory form,
such as speech, rather than in a published medium such as print or a
internet server.

Defamation
Defamation consists of the related torts of libel (written statements)
or slander (oral statements), which involve a false statement tending
to injure the reputation of another.  The Internet is informal and
instantaneous, and has numerous outlets for publicly expressing opinions.
These characteristics allow users to make defamatory remarks that they
may otherwise be incapable of making.  Bulletin boards, mailing lists,
forums, newsgroups, and even e-mail are subject to the laws of
defamation.

As for this comment:
>I judged at a couple of LOS National shows that had deplorable hygiene
>standards.  Disinfectant in baby wipes, don't think so.  The judges
>opened the sealed packages of wipes that morning at the show, and
>NOTHING was added to them.

That was untrue in its entirety.  The wipes were treated with Odoban that
morning, yes, but they nonetheless were treated.  Also she is referring
to 1993.  This was our second show and back then, we were doing
everything in our power to make sure we were disinfecting.  Back then
that was more than other shows had done.  As the years went, we (ferret
shows) have all improved.

As for this comment:
>We were given packets of those types of wipes you get at a rib place.

These were surgical alcoholic wipes used for disinfecting the tables in
addition to the Odoban treated wipes.

Your next Comment:
>Also, when I was involved with the LOS organization, I several times
>asked to see the fiancial books, there were none.  In fact Rose Smith
>told me that the books were "the checkbook." Unless something has
>changed, LOS is not a non-profit organization as recognized by the IRS.

As was explained to you back then and again.  We use a seperate checking
account for all LOS transactions including supplies, medical bills, etc.
As per the IRS with which we have been reporting to since 1990, that is a
method of accounting.  No were are not professional accounts and as a non
profit cannot afford to hire one.  Some rescues and shelters kept theirs
and the shelters funds together, we do not.

Your next Comment:
>The numbers of ferrets they claim to rescue every year are subject to
>question.  How many of those are their retired breeders?  It used to be
>quite a few.  No books, no records, and what shelters actually benefit
>from their shows?

As per this comment you know we rescued several ferrets.  As you were
aware, we had several ferrets willed to our organization to find homes
for the man who passed, we saw 2.  You went down and retrieved them
before we got done work and took them all in.  We were ready to take on
the burden among ourselves and our other rescues and sub-shelters.  For
that I am still upset since it was the man's last will and testament.
But the past is the past.  Yes the conditions were not good since the man
was not well but nonetheless what happened happened.

So as for how many we take in, it is a lot less than in the past.  We
used to top off at 100 + ferrets but it was difficult to take care of all
them and make sure everyone had their exercise especially since I was
working two jobs and my mom was working out of the house.  The medical
bills of the rescues got so high that I had to work two jobs - one for
my own personal bills and the other for the rescues.  Plus my mom worked
outside the house for more money for the rescues.  So we will not take
in any more than 20 at a time.  We have several shelters and rescues and
sub-rescues that can take in ferrets if needed.

As for retired breeders, I have never passed them off as a rescue.

So Please I ASK YOU, stop posting Libelous comments on this post.  This
is a personal attack on LOS.  Also posting a false statement such as
this right before our show, so you could impact the most damage to our
organization, is really, really low.  If this keeps up, I will be
contacting legal advice as your comments are libelous.  If you have
nothing nice to say than don't say it at all.  Obviously you still
anomosity against the current president and this should be not addressed
on a public forum in an attempt to damage our reputation.  My suggestion
is that you try writting down your anger and then burn the paper, this
has helped several people and can certainly keep you from committing
libelous acts.