From:
christine newkirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 05:58:45 -0700
Hi, Alayne!

I would highly suggest crate training/ kennel training for your dog.  A
lot of people don't like this, but think about the following: one day,
the dog will have to be in a kennel anyway, whether for boarding or vet
visits, so it's a good idea to kennel them so they are used to it; dogs
have a natural instinct to retreat to a quiet sheltered place for rest,
or if the environment gets too hectic; with crate training, all you have
to do is be consistent for 6 months and then you have a well-behaved dog
for the lifetime of the dog.  If the dog cries in the kennel at first,
ignore it.  Just like people who have babies don't pick them up every
time they cry.  Never reward the dog by letting them out when they cry.
Plug your ears!  eventually they will realize all that whining gets them
nowhere.:)

Your vet can probably give you crate training literature.  Get a kennel
that will be big enough for the dog when fully grown (so you only buy it
once), and block off the back of it so the dog cannot eliminate in rear
of the kennel and lie down in the front: a dog will usually not eliminate
too close to where it sleeps.  Make sure the dog only has enough room
to turn around and lie down.  Don't put water in the kennel unless
it's really hot in the house; that will sabotage your efforts to potty
train -- they can have it when they are let out.  Make a schedule and
stick to it: a puppy should be able to go for short periods between
eliminations but will probably have to go potty after waking up, eating,
or playing.  Feed at 1 or two specific time(s) per day and a few minutes
after, take them outside.  Immediately upon letting them out of the
kennel, take them to the appropriate spot and be patient!  Don't leave
the spot until they go, and then reward.  Also reward/bribe them into
the kennel.

Here's a pretty good website with most of the questions I used to get
asked about this.  I have seen these methods work over and over, even
for older dogs who "somehow never got trained."

http://www.ddc.com/petplace/dogtraining/potty.html

Hope this was helpful!  If my mom can do this, anyone can!
-christine

=====

christine newkirk
My Ebay items