From:
Alayne Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:13:10 -0400
I know, BIG, OT again, this one has me horribly fustrated.

I have a 10-11 week old boxer/bull mastiff mix male.  I'm not having any
luck with the house training.  At 17 lbs, he drinks 3-4 times my 60 lab
mix unless I restrict his water.  I've restricted his water, but, that
just cuts down the number of spots, hasn't really helped him to go
outside.  He does run out the door if you open it to do something beside
let him out if he has to go.  And he will ignore you when you call him
in if he still has to go.  But he won't let me know he's gotta go.  I
do all the routine stuff, first thing in morning, after he plays, eats,
before bed, after he drinks a gallon of water, and a few other dozen
times a day, and still, at least 5-6 accidents in the house each day.
Mostly pee now, not much poop.  I had him checked for a bladder infection
since he was going small amounts every few steps or every few minutes.
His urinalysis is negative.  Doctor says it's most likely just that he's
a male dog.  I've never had to train a male pup, and we got VERY lucky
with the lab mix, took only a few days with her.  But it's been over 4
weeks now, and we don't seem to be making much progress.  Anybody have
any thoughts?

Thanks,
Alayne
(and dogs Crystal and Ringo, and ferrets Sierra, Angel, Emily and
Caitlynn)