From:
"Dr. Deb Sell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 05:51:16 -0700
Hello!
I have a little 5 year old who had surgery in april.  After the surgery
he developed a helicobacter bloom (it took us a few weeks to diagnose it,
but with the flagyl/amoxi/carafate he was feeling better in a few days).
We continued his treatment of the drugs for helicobacter for 14 days.  He
seemed fine and his old appetite resumed.  All was good until about a
month later when his appetite started lagging and continued to decline to
where I have to force feed him.  He vomited a few times.  The vet put him
back on the helicobacter drugs which had no effect this time.  Do some
ferrets become resisted to the drugs??  Did we not keep him on them long
enough the first time (some literature suggests 3-4 weeks of drugs)??

We have done bloodwork (OK), xray and barium xray (both ok too).
Previous ultrasound (May) showed nothing other than an enlarged adrenal
(he is on lupron now...it was right sided).

I am still forcefeeding him, but am really hoping to get an answer to
his problem soon (and so is he!!)

I am open to any and all suggestions

thanks so much for your time,
deb and wing-nut