Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:03:35 -0400
HeyHeyHey,

The NC case has been much on my mind as it is in my backdoor.  Like a
lot of folks my first reaction was to get very angry at the parents of
the child and ferrets.  I even voiced those opinions.  Then I awoke to
a surprise and a possible scenario presented itstelf to me.

When I woke up the other morning my 3 female ferrets were running free
roam all over my house.  They were supposed to be in "their" room with
the door securely closed.  Somehow, a 7 year old, a 6 year old and a fat
4 year old were athletic enough and determined enough to get out of their
room.  In the dead of night while I was busy sleeping!!

Immediately I thought about the family in Wake Co.  It could have
happened just this way.  Sound asleep, thinking all is safe and secure.
Three determined, curious ferrets doing their best to get into an
established forbidden zone (the places ferrets just gotta get into).
The baby feels a tickle, swats or smacks the itch, a frightened ferret
bites, the baby cries, the squeaky toy reaction starts.  Parents in
another room sound asleep awaken to a screaming baby.  Too late, a
horrible chain reaction sets in complete with government authorities etc.

I know for a fact that ferret accidents happen to the very best of us.
Fatal to the ferrets accidents happen to the best of us.  Ferret escapes
happen to the best of us.  If I had an infant, I could have been that
couple.  I would have been devasted for the ferret community to turn on
me along with everyone else.  We need to give a benifit of the doubt.
This could have been one of us.

Please take the time to look at another veiw.

Not so HappyTails,
Karen and the Scruff You Gang