From:
Kris Kriskius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:46:09 EDT
I received an email not long ago from a shelter near me, asking if I
would like to foster due to the fact that this shelter recently has been
breeding ferrets, and they are now having to turn down ferrets that are
needing to be rescued due to lack of cage space...

I will admit my heart dropped when I read this email.  We are already so
limited on shelters here in Nebraska, and now to read that apparently
baby ferrets take a priority over the ones needing to be rescued, well
crap, this is just not something I wanted to read.

Yet again, I have to say no.
I can't foster
I can't take in anymore
I am over my limit.
I hate saying no.
It breaks my heart to think that there are needy ferrets out there and I
can't take them.
I have to say no.
Most if not all the people I know around here are having to say no, they
are at their limit as well.

Basically the email said that this shelter is feeling like they are in a
*bind* due to the fact that they have babies, and no one is wanting to
adopt the ferrets that are 3 years of age or older.  I do feel that if
you are promoting your *top of the line* breeding ferrets, of course
potential adopters will take preference over them as opposed to the
oldsters!

This is so frustrating.

How do you folks feel about shelters that also breed?

I know this may be a touchy subject, however I also know that the good
shelters out there have set priorities, in most cases the rescue ferrets
take priority over babies, and breeding....don't they?

Kris and the Fur Kids >^..^<