From:
Erinne Stark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:44:04 -0400
Hi everyone.  First I want to say thanks for all of the responses I got
for my persistent monster and her doorway obsession.  I had had a perfect
solution all along, but due to the fact that I am living in my parents'
house, it wasn't something I could take advantage of because my dad
refused to let me out any nails in my door jam (my ex and I had used a
wood board nailed in the doorway to keep the girls in the bedroom at his
apt).  So I was trying to respect his wishes.  However, he is on vacation
and I was on the verge of ripping all of my hair out so I caved and
nailed the board up.  And now she doesn't care about the carpet.
Hopefully my dad won't care either.

Anyways, I have been wanting to make a digging box for my girls so they
can dig and be obnoxious in a safe and house-damaging free way.  My main
question is about what I should use in the box.  I don't want to use sand
or dirt and want to minimize the likelihood of them eating whatever it is
that I used.  I have also heard of using rice and I like that idea, and
I'll sound really stupid for asking this, but is it possible to by like
a really big bag of rice instead of tons of little boxes?  I have never
paid attention at the grocery store.  Money is kinda tight for me right
now, so the most cost effective solution would be best.

Also, I wanted some advice on litter.  I used to use Care Fresh and I
like it in terms of absorbency and odor, but I hated how it got
EVERYWHERE.  I found bits of it everywhere for months after I stopped
using it.  It was all over the house, on clothes, on clothes after they
were washed, etc.  After Care Fresh I switched to wood stove pellets and
I liked those, especially because a huge bag was $3.99.  It definitely
doesn't work for odor control (which is because its not made to), and I
didn't have a problem with that, but my dad, who has apparently grown
more sensitive to smells as he has gotten older does have a problem with
it.  So I tried Swheat Scoop, which is like corncob litter but made with
wheat.  It helps with the odor and is very absorbent, which I like,
because it lasts longer.  But regardless of whether there is poop in the
box or not, the ferrets do like to play in it (so I have considered this
for the digging box - would this be ok?).  Plus it gets all over the
carpet because of their digging (the box will have a lid with an opening
for them to get in, to minimize the mess).  I've heard a lot of people
like Yesterdays News and I was wondering what everyone else thought about
litter.  Some with odor control is important and I'd like for it to last
(I.e, I would prefer to not to have to buy litter all of the time).

Thanks everyone!!!