From:
Phyllis Berker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2004 22:29:37 EDT
Hi Nicole!
I didn't see your post about your new baby, but I just read some replies.
To put my two sense in, I fell in love about 4 1/2 yrs. ago with a
dark-eyed white kit, and about two months later, realized he was deaf.
That didn't make me love him any less of course, and perhaps it made me
love him more.  Kobi doesn't know he's deaf, but I realized a few times,
he does hear very high pitched sounds (i.e. - he responds when he happens
to be under the table when the phone rings for instance).  When he plays
with other ferrets, he'll make noises louder than the other ferrets, as
if he's trying to hear.  Who knows, perhaps he picks up vibrations when
he's doing his playful "screams", and it fascinates him.  Nevertheless,
Kobi has always been a happy ferret, and his famous ferret trick is doing
roll overs.  He does that all the time when he's playing and when he
tries to get your attention for a treat.  He doesn't act any different
than my hearing ferrets.  In fact, he has won some "Best Of " trophies
and ribbons over the last 4 yrs.

Phyllis