Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:41:19 EDT
Although still totally unknown in ferrets because it is rare, everything
I can find related to cystine kidney stones points to a genetic disorder.
The ability to break down the building blocks of protein known as amino
acids.  The occurs because of a kidney genetic disorder not protein in
itself.  Every single reference has pointed to this in dogs, cats,
ferrets other animals and humans as well.  So if the case were high
protein we'll then we should be worried.  But it apparently is not.

Now if a ferret with a genetic probablility were to live on a high
protein diet (ie: much more amino acids in higher protein) then yes, I
could see where this would be a problem.  I agree with what the makers
of Pretty Bird are trying to do.  I think it's an excellant food, much,
much better for our furkids.  Saying that protein is causing the problem
is just wrong.  It may cause it in an indirect way via the genetic
disorder but it is not the problem.  Ferrets like us humans have
predisposed genetic disorders that respond to influences in their
environments.  Insulinoma is one of them, adrenal another.  Early renal
failure, although this to is shown to be cause by other factors (ie:
the hormone that the adrenal releases to the kidneys is shut off-non
existant) which is why kidneys seem to go before adrenal would kill our
kids.

You have to look at a picture as a whole before you start condeming one
side of it.  Youre two kids, they came from the same farm.  You think
they are not genetically linked where more than likely they are.  It
could be a generation or two away but I bet somewhere down the line
like any other recessive gene they are linked.

Sincerely
Leanne