Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 02:15:12 EDT
From:
Pam Adey <[log in to unmask]>
Kim,

Thank you so much for putting into words exactly how I felt when I read
Anon.  post.  I think that Anon.  must have little show experience, and
is unfamiliar with the process.  I have never been to a ferret show :(
Here in California) but I do know that it is a standard and acceptable
practice for an animal to attend a show without the owner having to be
present.  It is completely common knowledge, that showing animals,
(whether they be thorough bred horses, pure bred dogs/cats, or domestic
livestock) is often done by a handler or trainer; NOT always by the
OWNER.  Showing animals is very time consuming, expensive, and requires
a lot of traveling.  Owners who can afford it, will often hire a trainer
or handler to do the "show" aspect of breeding top quality animals and
establishing champion lines.  These handlers treat the animals in their
care (often more than one) with excellence.  They have their reputation
to keep if they are going to show and any corrupt behavior could result
in their being banned from the ring.  Trainers/handlers don't come cheep
and it is usually their life's work to travel the show circuit with their
charges.  That Dawn offered to do this without any finical compensation,
except the price of gas, just goes to show how generous she was trying to
be; and proves it's not all about the money!

Ferret shows are about upholding the standards of the breed, providing
educational opportunities to the public, and a good resource to finding
a reputable breeder.  They thankfully provide a wonderful alternative to
the pet shop ferret mills.  Any well socialized, happy, and healthy
ferret would not suffer "Stress" by attending a ferret show.  Indeed
through selective breeding these are some of the very valuable traits
that are desirable to pass on to the next generation.  Aggressive ferrets
are NOT desirable; biters are disqualified and selectively never bred
again.

Dawn, please correct me if I am wrong about any of this.

Thank you,
Pam