Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:04:15 -0700
From:
>I would like to know in very basic terms the differences between the
>digestive systems of ferrets, cats and rabbits.

Very basically, ferrets & cats are strict carnivores (meat eaters) and
rabbits are herbivores (plant eaters).

I'll address the rabbit part of the question in a bit more detail:
Rabbits digestive tract contains a "fermenting vat" called a cecum.  The
first time food is processed it goes into the cecum, which converts the
food into small packets of vitamins (primarily vitamin B).  When these
packets exit the cecum they proceed out thru the anus in a tootsie roll
shape, which contains lots of these small packets pressed together.  The
rabbit eats these vitamin packets.  After they are processed the second
time, they come out in the hard round feces people are familiar with.
(These feces make excellent fertilizer for your garden, so that you can
grow more veggies for your rabbit companion!)

Sandi

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
a non-profit animal shelter
14317 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 6 days/week (closed Tue) or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org