From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:42:15 -0400
Hello all.  We just got in 2 ferrets who need to be in an isolation
situation.  Both kids are currently at the vet, but we can not afford
to keep them there for too long (boarding/hospital costs are high).

Both ferrets are 2 1/2 and female.  The girls came in today via a family
home.  They saw the family's vet yesterday for vaccines and apparently
got a clean bill of health!  I spoke with the hospital that saw the girls
yesterday and according to their records, the vet thought they looked
good.  I'm awaiting a call from this vet tomorrow to find out why.

One little girl (Pepper) has an upper respiratory infection which we can
not expose to the shelter kids and the other little girl (Missy) is very
weak and thin.  She has a head tilt and is very unsteady on her feet.
She falls from side to side.  Our vet is not sure what is wrong with
her - he says it could be anything from brain damage to meningitis (or
everything in-between).

Typically, Meningitis is not contagious, but we can not afford to take
the chance with the other ferrets in the shelter.  It's at times like
these that I wish our shelter could afford to have a quarantine room
available to us.

If anyone out there has a home or knows of a home that has no other
ferrets and who would be willing to foster these kids until we can
figure out what is wrong, please call me ASAP at 905-275-0438 or e-mail

Randy Melanie Belair
President
The Ferret Aid Society "For the Love of our Fuzzy Friends"
www.ferretaid.org <http://www.ferretaid.org/>