From:
Nancy Herring <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:30:46 -0500
Since Bob C. has been talking about species and subspecies, I have a
question.  We got our ferret a year ago.  When he came home, I read
every ferret book I could find in the library.  In one of them, the
author intimated that the ferrets used for hunting 50 or so years ago
were larger and more aggressive than our pet ferrets of today.  Is this
true or not?

Also, only having been on the list since January (when I read Ferrets
for Dummies), sometimes I have trouble telling where the shelters with
adoptables are.  Are there any shelters in Kansas?  Our Sparky was a
rescue that lived first in an aquarium and then in a cage in a cat room
at a boarding kennel for 7+ months before we brought him home.  When we
got him in a 3 level cage, he had to learn how to climb to the upper
levels.  We introduced him to ferrettone and laxatone and real ferret
food and treats.  We watched him bloom and start doing ferretity things
like climbing and jumping.

We think that he is about 2 years old.  He weighs 2 lbs.  We think that
he is a Marshall's ferret.  Our vet did not do the ADV test when they
took him in as a rescue.  Does he need it?  He has had two successful
shots for rabies and distemper.  (I was so paranoid when I took him in
for his shots this year after all I've read here.)  We are looking for
another rescue ferret, preferably his age and size, but we were thinking
about a little girl.  Whoever we adopt, the most important thing is that
we get a good playmate for him.  He is cute and mischievous and uses his
litter box, but does not like to be held or cuddled.  I guess his free
time is too precious to use it being held.  That is our only problem with
him.  Unfortunately, our present house does not allow him to roam without
supervision.  If we ever move, which we are talking about, there will be
a ferret room.

Oh, by the way, I enjoyed the way the recent story about the ferrets
going into the forest to the raisin tree ended.

Thanks,
Nancy
Wichita