From:
Andrea Mercado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:25:11 -0500
I found one at least 3 pharmacies that compound creams or gels for pets:

Cactus Pharmacy & Compounding Center:
http://vanity.qwestdex.com/compoundingsolutions/Page5.html

Finger Lakes Compounding Center
http://www.fingerlakesrx.com/newsFeb02two.html

Community Drug Compounding Center
http://www.communitydrug.com/Cat_Main.cfm?CategoryID=2

The sites don't mention ferrets specifically, but it might be worth
calling or emailing them.  The sites don't list prices or anything, but
at least the Cactus Center mentions predinsone.

There's also a "transdermal gel" available from:

Doctors Forster & Smith
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?gid=268

The site doesn't mention any medications in particular, but the page
explains different forms of medication, as well as offering a link to a
page that explains why not all medications are available in all of the
forms they offer.

I also found an interesting article on the art of compounding for animals
that has several references to the challenges of compounding for ferrets
in particular, and mentions (one paragraph) on how gels are all the rage:

Compounding Pharmacists: Helping Your Pets Get Their Meds
by Lorraine Savage
http://www.critterexchange.com/CRITTERARCHIVES/nov02/helpingpetgetmed.html

The article is from two years ago, so the gel form has been around at
least a little while.  The site is interesting, but even with the
mentions of ferrets in the article, there don't seem to be any links
to ferret resources.  I'd like to contact them about it, and send them
some suggestions (Ferret Central, The Ferret Congress, The Ferret Store,
Ferret Wares, etc.).

While it would be awesome to give a ferret meds by massaging the ferrets
ear (free ear rubs!  yay!), I can see a few problems with it.  If you
have a business that really likes to groom each other, then you may run
into problems with ear licking.  I do realize that the idea of the meds
is to be quickly absorbed through the ear, but I imagine there would be
at least a little while where the meds are still a little topical.  Some
of the compounders seem to have solved that problem by adding a sour
taste to the gel.  Just from a curiousity standpoint, I'd be interested
to know how ear mites might effect the administration of transdermal
meds.

Anyone on the FHL have any experience with/info on this kind of
medication medium?

 :)

Andrea
and the Somerville Business, Lucy and Gabe
missing Tiki everyday

Bump Fairies
A.F.B.F. Local 79
Atlanta, GA