Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:49:55 -0400
Dearest Sandee,

It's taken me a few days to be able to write to you so you have probably
already seen a big beautiful boy coming your way.  He will now be able
to be with his beloved Kody.  I think that that is all he has wanted for
over a year now.

I found Kody and Pody in absolutely deplorable conditions in a local pet
store.  Their water dish was literally floating in urine.  I walked into
this pet store to buy some ferret food and smelled them the minute I went
in.  Pody was 5 1/2 and Kody was 6 1/2.  I inquired about them and was
told they were on hold until this young man could get the $100 to buy
them.  I wasn't happy with that at all.  I went back a week later and
talked the owner into letting me have them.

I brought them home and got them settled in and within a month or two
they were best buddies with my other ferrets.  They played and seemed
happy and then Kody began to fail.  Without going into a lot of detail
Kody had 3 surgeries in 4 short months and he didn't make it past the 3rd
one.  Pody was heartbroken.  After being without food and water for 5
days and then left at the vets for almost a week, the pet store for over
a month and then to a new home he seemed to have just given up on humans.
Losing his best friend seemed to be that last straw.  I tried for over a
year to make him know he was here to stay and that he was loved.  For the
most part I don't think it worked.  I truly wished that those that were
thinking of dumping their older ferrets could see what I went through
with these two gentle, sweet older guys.

Last February Pody was having difficulty breathing and I took him to the
vet to be checked out.  His chest was filled with fluid and they tapped
him and drained off over 100 cc's of fluid.  His health improved a bit
after that.  I even caught him playing with one of my other ferrets a few
times.  He had a collection of balls that he would check on a few times a
day and his appetite stayed good.  He loved his soup.  About a month or
so later the same thing happened.  Breathing got harder and harder so
they tapped him again.  Each time they got a little more fluid.  We were
up to having him tapped once a week.  A few people told me I should put
him down but as long as he came home and ate and checked on his toys I
just couldn't.  As long as I saw that little spark in his eyes I would do
whatever it took for him to stay just a little longer.  I knew he would
let me know when he had had enough.

He was tapped a week ago Friday and just didn't bounce back as usual.  By
the following Wednesday his breathing was bad again.  This time they only
got a small amount out and he didn't rally at all when I brought him
home.  I picked him up and took him out for a walk where Kody was buried
and I felt that he had finally had enough.  He fought hard and made the
best of it.  The staff at my vets office even called them their little
Miracle ferret.  I took him in this past Friday and let him go.  He was
more than ready because my vet gave him a shot to relax him a little and
he died in my arms a few minutes later.  The second shot was never
administered.

Sandee, he is a big beautiful boy.  His fur was long enough to bury your
fingers in but both his side had been shaved.  I hope he is now with his
beloved Kody and is finally happy.  After the fight he put up he deserves
it.  Please tell him I miss him something fierce and hope to someday see
him and Kody again.  He took a very big piece of my heart with him.  Tell
him to keep it safe for me and someday I will get it back.  Althought
they never got to meet here I hope Kody was able to meet up with my
PeeWee and they will greet Pody when he gets there.  Please tell them
both that there isn't a day go by that I don't miss them still.

Thank you Sandee, for all the comfort you bring to so many.  It's a very
special thing you do and there are no words to express my appreciation
and gratitude.

Warmly,
Diddy