From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:20:01 -0400
Bob c wrote:
>Ferret nutritional standards are not well known.  Currently, the best
>published information on ferret nutrition is in Fox's book, but that
>study is biased.  It doesn't actually tell you what the best diet is for
>ferrets, but rather describes a diet constructed by Marshall Farms that
>promotes successful ferret reproduction and kit survival.  No one knows
>how that compares to the needs of non-breeding pet ferrets, such as
>older neutered males with little physical activity.  One way to get
>around this problem without spending gobs of money on research is to
>make the assumption ferrets evolved eating a specific diet, and provide
>a nutritionally similar alternative.  That is what is behind Natural
>Gold; I understand it is designed to be the nutritional equivalent of
>polecat prey, which is why the proteins and fats are high and the carbs
>are low.

I find this EXTREMELY intersting as out shelter took in several FOx
ferrets after their stint in the FOx / MIT program in 1995/6 they were
fed IAMS CAT FOOD!  SOmuch for tyhe data based on the Marshall Farms
diet.

The ferrets came in with ID tags and paperwork from MIT-- and the food
written they had been fed was Iams cat & nurtrical.   I am sure Ewok's
paperwork is still here somewhere!

so maybe by the time they arrived the Marshall food trial was not started
or finished?

Thanks Bob more tidbits for me to chew on!

Alicia
www.ferretwise.org