From:
Shelley Abare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 05:22:58 -0700
I have driven into and out of Ca several times via Hwys 10 and 40.  Most
recently in 1999.  Both have fruit and animal check points at the border.
Driving alone into Ca via Hwy 10 I was asked if I had any fruit or
animals.  I said no and that was the end of it.  Going across Hwy 40 with
my husband, and then very young son, we were asked the same question.  We
were also made to get out of the car and let a dog sniff it.  (we didn't
have anything, but if we had they would have found it).  Another time I
drove across the border on Hwy 10 (alone) the border checkers were not
there at all.  I just drove on through.  So, in my experiance, you stand
a good chance of getting caught if you try to sneak your baby across the
border.  But, 5 years ago at least, you stood a better chance of getting
through on 10 then on 40.  You might be better off finding a home for the
babies, rather than risking losing them.  (I have no idea what they do
with confiscated ferrets/contraband).

Good luck,
Shelley